Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Battle for Living Circle Chapters 1-4

Rosethorn crammed jars into her pack. She layered bits of clothing between the jars to keep them from clinking together.

There was a loud crash. “Mila damn it,” Briar muttered. “It was just a jar of aloe,” he called to Rosethorn. “Nothing big.”

“Hurry up, we need to get out now. The faster we leave the better,” she told him. “The Yanjini Emperor is going to know we overheard his meeting soon enough. We need to let Living Circle Temple know before he does."

Evvy trotted up the stairs. “I have all the food packed. I think I have all my rocks too.”

Rosethorn tied her pack shut and swung it onto her shoulders. Briar did the same, and then put on the sling for his shakkan tree. “I guess we’re ready,” he said. “Let’s go.”

Rosethorn pulled her hood over her face as they walked away from the house. “The last thing we need is someone figuring out where we went. You two,” she nodded to Briar and Evvy, “blend right in. I am like a stick in the mud. A pity there isn’t a good way for me to blend in.”

Evvy frowned. “There are some shops that sell hair dyes and paints for people. We could probably find one. Here.” She tossed her pack to Briar and melted into the crowds of people in the street. Briar and Rosethorn could hear her high voice over the city noise.
Doa, do you know a place that sells paints and dyes? My aunt likes to look her best. On Spicer Street? Over there, okay, thank you very much doa."

The girl trotted back. “On that street over there, there’s a place. How about I go in and get the stuff? The lady said there’s a used clothes store too. We should get some of that too, because habits and fancy stuff don’t look normal on the road. Let’s go.”

Evvy picked a jar up off the shelf. “Anleigh’s Color- Starry Night Black. Five davs? That’s a rip-off!”

A cool hand touched her shoulder. “I can sell cheaper if you can tell me a few things.” Evvy turned around. A tall woman in a blue sari stood behind her. “Is there anything else you need? Once you know what you want, come up to the counter and we can…negotiate a price.” The woman winked, then walked away.

Evvy grabbed a few jars of inky-black dye before another label caught her eye. Cinnamon Sugar Brown. I bet Rosethorn could dye her skin with that. That would really help us hide from the emperor. She picked up a couple jars of brown dye, then walked over to the counter.

“Who’s this all for?” the lady asked. “Pretty colors, they aren’t especially cheap either.”

Evvy licked her lips. “They’re for my auntie,” she said in her most little-girl voice. “She’s….mmm…..getting on in life and she likes her hair to be one color.”

“Oh, yes. Just like so many people. The total cost is twenty davs, but I’ll settle for twelve with the right information. Do you happen to know of a pair of mages, a young man and an older woman? The man is native-looking, but the woman is small and fair.”

Evvy frowned. “Those pahans from Em-ah-lahn? Aren’t they here to meet the emperor?”

The woman shrugged. “They were supposed to have an audience with him this morning, after his private meetings, but they never showed up. The guards said they were there.”

Evvy tried her best to look calm, but her mind was racing. How she know about this? How did the emperor know? We said Rosethorn was sick and we couldn’t make it. I didn’t think anyone saw us. <“I was on Acadia Lane and I saw the pahan on the roof. There were plants crawling up his arms. It was weird,” Evvy shivered as she pushed her coins across the counter.

“If you see anything more, don’t hesitate to tell me. I’ll make sure the right people hear of your cleverness, and you will be rewarded. Good day.” The woman handed Evvy the bag of goods, then slid behind a beaded curtain. Evvy walked away as fast as she dared, not looking back.

Rosethorn and Briar stood at the side of the market square. Evvy hurried over. “The emperor knows what we heard and he knows we’re gone!”

Rosethorn turned pale. “What do mean? Who told you that?”

“There was a woman in that store. She lowered her prices for information. I said I was buying things for my aunt and I said I saw you at our house. I think she believed me. I hope so.”

“Mila! What do we do now?” Rosethorn ground her teeth. “I suppose the best thing to do is get out as soon as we can.”

Briar held up a large bag. “We bought some clothes and there’s a hamman around the corner. We can change our clothes there and dye Rosethorn’s hair.”

The three mages walked to the bathhouse and paid their entry fee. Briar went into the men’s section, while Evvy and Rosethorn entered the women’s part.

A short while later, Rosethorn and Evvy stood by a private bath. Evvy pulled the jars of dye from her pack. “How are we going to do this?”

“I think these are plant dyes. I can just ask it to stain my skin until I want it to come out, I think,” Rosethorn said. The dedicate turned away and pulled her green habit off, over her head. Even though she wore a thick, cream-colored under-dress, Evvy could see the woman was thin and bony. This journey will be hard on her.

Evvy turned around, stripped off her clothes, and slid into the foamy water. Rosethorn had already cleaned her hair and was rubbing in the black dye.

“I’m going to miss being a redhead,” Rosethorn snorted. “I’m going to miss seeing my own reflection.” She finished with the black dye and climbed out of the water. She was still wearing the under-dress.

Rosethorn caught Evvy’s look and smiled crookedly. “Ever since my town was raided by pirates, I’ve tried to always wear something. This dress, it’s a wonder in a way. Lark, at Winding Circle, made it. It doesn’t rustle, it has loads of pockets, and it stays clean. At least, for the most part. Lark made it before I could grow any tomatoes.”

Evvy sank into the water and scrubbed herself clean. By the time she was done, Rosethorn was painting her skin gold-brown. The woman was almost unrecognizable.

Except her eyes. They were large and brown, not almond-shaped and almost black. Oh well. People can have different eyes. Briar’s are green after all…

Rosethorn finished. “I suppose we should keep this dye. Will you help me wash out my hair?”

Evvy walked over and poured water over Rosethorn’s head. Only a little dye washed away. “I think you’re magic is keeping your hair black. We can dry off, then get dressed, I suppose. What should we do with your habit? We should keep it, I don’t think…”

This was actually written during French. We're studying passé composé. At any rate, have fun, please review.

Briar washed and dressed quickly, then left the hamman. He and Rosethorn hadn't brought much with them from Chammur, and Evvy had never had much to begin with. There was plenty of empty space in their packs, and Briar intended to use it.

He wandered down the street to a souk and found the food market. We'll need bread, and probably some fruit or vegetables, he thought. I should probably buy some water flasks too.

He slid into a bakery. It was empty, so Briar walked up to the counter. "I'll get six loaves of your freshest bread and a bag of rolls."

The baker raised his eyebrows but didn't comment. He set the order on the counter. "Anything else?"

Briar thought. "Do you sell any of that mix for biscuits or pancakes?"

"I sell both. You can buy a bag with five, ten, or fifteen cups. Which would you prefer?"

"I'll get two fifteen-cup bags of each, please," Briar said.

The baker turned away to fetch the bags. This is strange. Either he's planning a party or something has happened. Either way I want to know.

The baker set Briar's purchases on the counter and tallied up the cost. "Twenty-five davs, sir." As Briar pushed the coins over, the baker leaned towards him. "Sir, I am only a baker, but I would like to know what has happened. To my knowledge, there are no festivals or weddings soon, but you are buying enough to supply one. You don't need to tell me, but I would appreciate if you do."

Briar glanced over his shoulder. "I have word that there is trouble brewing in the palace. I've heard of a war against Gygonxe and its Living Circle Temple. If you have family there bring them home now. Don't spread the word, it will just cause panic." He slid a silver dav into the baker's apron pocket. "I trust you will be most…confidential." The mage gathered the bread into his pack and left the shop.

The baker didn't waste a moment. He started setting his goods on the counter, a sign that he was closing early and his prices were cheap. I will take my money and belongings and leave. I can stay with my brother in Chammur for a time. He won't mind. He and his wife will appreciate the company.

Unaware of the baker, Briar finished his shopping and hurried back to the hamman. He looked around. Evvy and Rosethorn ought to be done by now. Two people leaving the bath-house caught his eye. The younger girl was Evvy. Briar stared at the older woman. She had gold-brown skin like a local and choppy black hair. Her pink and orange dress just touched the ground. Briar frowned. Something wasn't quite right. Her eyes aren't slanted. Briar rolled his eyes. It was Rosethorn. How couldn't have figured that out?

Evvy saw him and skipped over. Rosethorn glared at him. "Don't make any clever comments, boy, or I'll string you up in the first well I find."

Briar grinned. "I haven't said anything….yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment