Saturday, April 23, 2011

Smackdown 2011, LR R2: My Pleasure, G

 A/N- This is my first drabble for Goldenlake's Smackdown 2011. Rosie meets Lark.

Rosethorn was in her garden, up to her knees in mud and overgrown vegetation, when she heard someone pounding on the door of her cottage. The door that she had just repainted. She waited and listened to see if whoever it was would leave.

The pounding continued.

"Mila bless me." Rosethorn sighed and stood, not bothering to try wiping the wet dirt from her hands or habit. She stomped around the side of the cottage, not wanting to get the just-washed floor dirty.

A dark-skinned woman, Moonstream, the new temple head, was standing on the doorstep. A thin woman, several years older than Rosethorn's twenty stood behind. She was wearing the most eye-shattering shade of yellow Rosethorn had ever seen.

"Honored Moonstream?" Rosethorn said, with perhaps a touch more civility, than otherwise.

The dedicate turned. "Rosethorn! I was looking for you-"

You don't say.

"- I wanted to know if you would be all right if Soladin stayed here for a while."

Soladin. That was the other woman's name. She looked Yanjingi, and she had a dancer's light frame. She coughed softly into the yellow gauze scarf around her neck.

Rosethorn frowned. She didn't say I'd have anything to do with. . . Soladin. She could stay here and I could stay in my garden. "That's fine by me."

"Thank you, dear. Now," Moonstream pushed Soladin forward. "Sol, this is Dedicate Rosethorn; Rosethorn, this is Soladin Yannae, from Khapik, in Tharios." 

Rosethorn stuck out a muddy hand. "Pleasure."

Soladin didn't hesitate to shake. "All mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment